“Spiritual Wellness is a personal matter involving values and beliefs that provide a purpose in our lives. While different individuals may have different views of what spiritualism is, it is generally considered to be the search for meaning and purpose in human existence, leading one to strive for a state of harmony with oneself and others while working to balance inner needs with the rest of the world. The National Wellness Institute says spiritual wellness follows the following tenets:
- It is better to ponder the meaning of life for ourselves and to be tolerant of the beliefs of others than to close our minds and become intolerant.
- It is better to live each day in a way that is consistent with our values and beliefs than to do otherwise and feel untrue to ourselves. “
It is important for everyone to explore what they believe is their own sense of meaning and purpose. The path to spiritual wellness may involve simply thinking through the ways you receive meaning in your life, or talking about these with important family or friends. In addition, some individuals have practices that allow them to focus on the meaning in their lives and can include meditation, prayer, yoga, or other specific spiritual practices that support your connection to a higher power or belief system. Further, having clearly defined values, beliefs, and morals define your spirituality and provide a basis for key states such as compassion, the capacity for love and forgiveness, altruism, joy, and a sense of personal fulfillment.
Are you engaged in the process of spiritual wellness?
Evaluate your own spiritual wellness with this brief quiz.
- Do I make time for relaxation or reflection in my day?
- Do my values guide my decisions and actions?
The UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center provides an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own for free!
- Spirituality and Health
- Spiritual Health
- Reaching Spiritual Wellness
- Spiritual Health: The Benefits of Massage Therapy in Physical and Mental Health
- How to Keep a Spiritual Journal
- What is Meditation?
- Meditation: An Introduction
- Benefits of Listening to Music
- How Meditation Changes Your Brain
We value your opinion, please take a moment to complete this survey about the Faculty Wellness Program Website.
For questions related to the website or website content, please contact Dr. Wendy Ward at 501-364-3537.