For Potential Visiting Students
Visiting students are welcome at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS). The information on this web page is designed to assist you in completing the requirements to apply for a rotation at our institution. The requirements are listed below:
1. A visiting student must be matriculated at an LCME accredited medical school, or a school of osteopathic medicine accredited by the American Osteopathic Association, and be actively progressing toward the M.D. or D.O. degree at that school.
2. A visiting student must have permission from the parent school to study at UAMS. This permission must be in writing, signed by the Dean or Associate Dean of the parent school, and must indicate that the student is in good standing at that school.
3. A visiting student may not replace an Arkansas student in any given course.
4. A visiting student’s experience is not considered in any way matriculation at the University of Arkansas College of Medicine.
5. A visiting student must receive academic credit for the UAMS experience from his/her parent school in order to study at the University of Arkansas College of Medicine.
6. A visiting student may pursue elective studies at the University of Arkansas College of Medicine for no more than a total of twelve (12) weeks, and the usual period is four weeks. Only elective courses in the fourth year of the Arkansas curriculum are available to visiting students (see link to Elective Catalog below).
7. A visiting student must have successfully completed his/her basic clinical rotations in Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, and Psychiatry.
8. A visiting student is not covered by health insurance by virtue of enrollment as a visiting student. In order to study here, a visiting student must forward proof of health insurance coverage with the visiting student’s application (as required by the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees).
9. The student must be covered by professional liability insurance (malpractice) by their home school while they are here at UAMS. Proof of coverage must be sent along with the visiting student application.
10. A visiting student must make his or her own arrangements for housing. The Dean’s Office will not be able to make these arrangements for you.
11. You will need a short white coat and a name tag.
12. Students applying to visit the University of Arkansas College of Medicine for a clinical rotation must provide proof of the following*:
A. Tetanus-diptheria-pertussis (Tdap): Required within the past 10 years-or if less than 2 years since Td booster
B. Measles: For Rubeola (measles,) UAMS students must show one of the following as proof of immunity; 1) Documentation of 2 doses of measles (or MMR) vaccine after the first birthday (no less than 1 month apart) Measles injections administered before 1968 do not count 2) a rubeola titer demonstrating immunity, 3) a letter from a physician stating that the student has had the rubeola disease, 4) Date of birth prior to 1957.
C. Mumps: All students born in, or after, 1957 must have documentation of 1) a single dose of mumps or MMR vaccine (after 1968,) 2) a letter from a physician stating that the student has had the mumps, or 3) a mumps titer demonstrating immunity.
D. Rubella: All students (regardless of age) must have documentation of a single dose of MMR vaccine after their first birthday (after 1/1/1969,) or 2) a rubella titer demonstrating immunity.
E. Hepatitis B 3-shot series: (or positive titer for Hepatitis B antibodies)
F. Varicella: UAMS students must show documentation of 2 doses of varicella vaccine, or a varicella titer showing immunity, or a health care provider documentation of varicella disease or herpes zoster.
*If any of the above requirements cannot be met due to contraindications to vaccines, immunosuppression, etc., students should provide a waiver from their health care provider.
G. All students must have a current PPD (TB) skin test. Evidence must be provided that the skin test was performed, and the results. If you have had a positive tuberculosis skin test you must provide documentation of the date, reaction in millimeters, chest X-ray, and course of treatment.
13. All students must acknowledge the receipt of a copy of our “Technical Standards” and certify that they can abide by them (A copy of our technical standards can be found in our College Catalog, also available on this web site).
14. All students will be required to be trained in our HIPAA regulations.
Scheduling 4 week block dates for the 2015-2016 academic year are as follows:
July 7, 2015 – August 2, 2015
August 3, 2015 – August 31, 2015
August 31, 2015 – September 27, 2015
September 28, 2015 – October 25, 2015
October 26, 2015 – November 22, 2015
November 23, 2015 – December 18, 2015
January 4, 2016 – January 31, 2016
February 1, 2015 – February 28, 2016
February 29, 2016 – March 27, 2016
March 28, 2016 – April 24, 2016
You can look at a list of our electives by clicking on this link: Electives List
Not all of the electives in the electives list are open to visiting students. Specifically, visiting students are not allowed on longitudinal electives (course numbers begin with the letter “L”), and are generally not allowed on our required Acting Internships (courses with course numbers that look like this: A I _ _ or USHAI). Electives that take place here on our main campus in Little Rock usually have course numbers that start with the letter “U”. Electives with course numbers starting with other letters are generally across the state away from Little Rock at our Regional Program sites. Regardless of where the elective is located, you must make arrangements through Ms. White as noted below. If you have a question about whether a particular elective is open to you, just contact Ms. White.
UAMS uses VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, to receive visiting student applications. To apply to our school, please complete and send us a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates. For more information on VSAS, please visit www.aamc.org/vsas or contact VSAS at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 478-9878. For more information on our visiting student electives, please contact Ms. Jessica White at email@example.com.
To make comments about this page, please contact Richard Wheeler, M.D. at WheelerRichard@uams.edu