The Internal Medicine Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee has been established to align with the UAMS Vision 2029 strategic plan. The committee aims to promote a culture of inclusion and establish principles and strategies to ensure equity in all aspects of departmental endeavors.
To accomplish our mission, we have created a diverse committee composed of faculty, staff, and residents. The committee meets monthly to discuss important topics that will promote and expand on the goals set forth in the UAMS Vision 2029 strategic plan to improve DEI within the department. During this first year, the committee has focused on the development of projects defining the long-term goals and aspirations of the DEI committee.
Questions, Comments & Concerns for the DEI Committee
If you have a question, comment or area of concern that you would like to share or bring to the committee’s attention, please use the following form to contact us.
- Strategic Plan led by Dr. Riley Lipschitz
- Training Mentorship Program led by Dr. Elena Ambrogini
- Cultural Activities
- Physical and Material Improvements to Eliminate Stigma in Signage
- In an effort led by Natalie Moore, we are working with the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to update all signage on single stall bathrooms to be gender neutral.
- Destigmatizing Language in Electronic Medical Records
- Emily Kocurek and colleagues are working with residents to review literature and the language used in charting and medical records.
- Kocurek and her team submitted their grant titled Development and Implementation of a Trainee-Led Research Program to Identify, Audit, and Modify Stigmatizing Language in Internal Medicine Patient Charting at UAMS. The American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation’s Building Trust and Equity in Internal Medicine Training grant program recently awarded them a two-year $20,000 grant.
- Promotion of the implicit bias/cultural humility workshop as required by the 2029 Vision strategic plan.