Director of GPIBS
Ph.D. – University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1994
My laboratory has a long-term interest in oxidant generation and mitochondrial damage during renal ischemia/reperfusion, as it relates to transplantation injury. The laboratory is currently focusing on elucidation of specific pathways involved with mitochondrial quality control (especially the fusion pathway) that are altered during renal transplantation. In addition, we are examining the therapeutic potential of several agents to block renal mitochondrial injury during warm and cold ischemia, using cell, rat, and human models of transplantation. This research has led to two US Patents and a Phase I Small Business Grant from NIH. Another recent area of study is focused on development of the first activity assay for the mitochondrial protease OMA1. This project involves multiple collaborators across the county including NCATS. Finally, our lab has several ongoing collaborative projects with Drs. Nirmala Parajuli, Paul Prather, Mitch McGill, and Craig Porter.
Recent Research Support
- P20GM125503 NIH/NIGMS (Mentor of Project; Dr. Lee Ann Macmillan-Crow) (02/16/18-01/31/23)
Center for Musculoskeletal Disease Research (CMDR)
- P20GM109096 NIH/NIGMS (Mentor of Project; Dr. Lee Ann Macmillan-Crow) (08/01/16-07/31/21)
The Center for Childhood Obesity Prevention
- R01 GM106419 NIH/NIGMS (MPI) (02/01/14 – 01/31/19)
“Mitochondrial Injury and Repair in Sepsis-induced Acute Kidney Injury”
- P20 GM109005 NIH/NIGMS (Mentor of Project; Dr. Aykin Burns) (07/01/15 – 06/31/19)
“Center for Studies of Host Response to Cancer Therapy”
- P20 GM125503 NIH/NIGMS (Mentor of Project I; Dr. Elena Ambrogini) (07/01/17 – 06/31/20)
“Center for Musculoskeletal Disease Research”
- PhRMA Fellowship (Sponsor for Tobacyk) (01/01/17 – 12/31/19)
“Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America”
- UAMS Sturgis Pilot Grant (11/01/17 – 12/01/18)
“Role of OMA1 Activation and Renal Transplantation”
- 16PRE30830010 American Heart (Mentor of Stephen Shrum) (07/1/16 – 06/30/18)
“Role of mitoBK channels in renal cold preservation”
- UAMS Pilot Grant (Co-PI) (06/01/16 – 05/31/17)
“Role of Mitochondrial BK Channel in Renal Transplantation”
- RO1 DK078936 NIH/NIDDK (PI) (12/1/08 – 11/30/15)
“Manganese Superoxide Dismutase and Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion”
- UL1TR000039 NIH (PI) (10/01/14 – 09/31/15)
“Novel Therapy to Reduce Injury to Human Donor Kidneys Prior to Transplant”
- Shrum S, Tobacyk J, Lo S, Parajuli N, MacMillan-Crow LA (2020). The BK activator NS11021 partially protects rat kidneys from cold storage and transplantation-induced mitochondrial and renal injury. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. Jul 30;688:108410. doi: 10.1016/j.abb.2020.108410. PMCID: PMC7322695
- Shrum S, Rusch NJ, MacMillan-Crow LA. Specific BK Channel Activator NS11021 Protects Rat Renal Proximal Tubular Cells from Cold Storage-Induced Mitochondrial Injury In Vitro. Biomolecules. 2019 Dec 4;9(12). doi: 10.3390/biom9120825. PMID: 31817165; PMCID: PMC6995623.
- Tobacyk J, Parajuli N, Shrum S, Crow JP, MacMillan-Crow LA. The first direct activity assay for the mitochondrial protease OMA1. Mitochondrion. 2019 May;46:1-5. doi: 10.1016/j.mito.2019.03.001. Epub 2019 Mar 26. PMID: 30926535; PMCID: PMC6487223.
- Lo S, MacMillan-Crow LA, Parajuli N. Renal cold storage followed by transplantation impairs proteasome function and mitochondrial protein homeostasis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2019 Jan 1;316(1):F42-F53. doi: 10.1152/ajprenal.00316.2018. Epub 2018 Oct 10. PMID: 30303714; PMCID: PMC6383197.
- MacMillan-Crow LA, Mayeux PR. Female mice exhibit less renal mitochondrial injury but greater mortality using a comorbid model of experimental sepsis. Intern Med Rev (Wash D C). 2018 Oct;4(10). doi: 10.18103/imr.v4i10.768. PMID: 30506014; Central PMCID: PMC6261321.
- Parajuli N, Shrum S, Tobacyk J, Harb A, Arthur JM, MacMillan-Crow LA. Renal cold storage followed by transplantation impairs expression of key mitochondrial fission and fusion proteins. PLoS One. 4;12(10), 2017. PMID: 28977005
- Hartman JH, Miller GP, Caro AA, Byrum SD, Orr LM, Mackintosh SG, Tackett AJ, MacMillan-Crow LA, Hallberg LM, Ameredes BT, Boysen G. 1,3-Butadiene-induced mitochondrial dysfunction is correlated with mitochondrial CYP2E1 activity in Collaborative Cross mice. Toxicology. 378:114-124, 2017. PMID: 28082109
- Srivastava AK, MacMillan-Crow LA, Rhee SW, Rusch NJ. Abnormalities of vascular ion channels during hypertension. In: Vascular Ion Channels in Physiology and Disease, Levitan I and Dopico A (eds), Spring International Publishing AG, New York, NY (in press). 2016.
- Singh, P, Parajuli, N, Mayeux, P.R., MacMillan-Crow, L.A. Renal Mitochondrial Lipid Peroxidation during Sepsis. Journal of Kidney. 2(1),116, 2016. PMID: 27104220
- Shrum S, MacMillan-Crow LA, and Parajuli N. Cold storage exacerbates renal and mitochondrial dysfunction following transplantation. Journal of Kidney. 2(1),114, 2016. PMID: 27066594
- Marine A, Krager, KJ, Aykin-Burns N, MacMillan-Crow LA. Peroxynitrite Induced Mitochondrial Biogenesis Following MnSOD Knockdown in Normal Rat Kidney (NRK) Cells, Redox Biology. 2: 348–357, 2014. PMID: 24563852
- Patil, N., Parajuli, N., MacMillan-Crow, L.A., Mayeux, P.R. Inactivation of renal mitochondrial respiratory complexes and manganese superoxide dismutase during sepsis: mitochondria-targeted antioxidant mitigates injury. American Journal of Physiology. Renal Physiology. 306, 2014. PMID: 24500690 *LAMC corresponding author.
- Parajuli, N., Campbell L.H., Marine A, Brockbank KG, MacMillan-Crow LA. Mito Q blunts Mitochondrial and Renal Damage during Cold Preservation of Porcine Kidneys. PLOS One. 7:11, 2012. PMID: 23139796
- Parajuli, N., MacMillan-Crow L.A. Role of reduced manganese superoxide dismutase in ischemia/reperfusion injury: a possible trigger for autophagy and mitochondrial biogenesis? American Journal of Physiology. Renal Physiology. 304(3):F257-67, 2012. PMID: 24563852
- Nirmala Parajuli, Akira Marine, Sloane Simmons, Hamida Saba, Tanecia Mitchell, Takahiko Shimizu, Takuji Shirasawa and Lee Ann MacMillan-Crow. Generation and characterization of novel kidney-specific manganese superoxide dismutase knockout mouse. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 51(2):406-16, 2011. PMID: 21571061