Arpan V. Prabhu, M.D., joined the Department of Radiation Oncology residency program in July of 2019. He graduated summa cum laude from the University of Pittsburgh with a bachelor’s degree in economics. He earned his medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 2018 and graduated with the prestigious Bert and Sally O’Malley Award for Outstanding Clinical Research.
Dr. Prabhu’s research activities focus on health literacy and patient education. To date, he has published over 60 peer-reviewed articles in prominent journals including the JAMA consortium and the International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics, and has presented over 45 oral and poster presentations at regional and national conferences.
He is the co-editor of the book The Evolution of Health Literacy: Empowering Patients Through Improved Education, published by Nova Science Publishers.
According to the publisher’s website, “Physicians have long pledged to adhere to four basic moral principles, a concise framework for the larger field of medical ethics. As is commonly known, those values consist of autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence, and justice. However, in order to advocate for these principles for patients, medical professionals must first ensure patients have appropriate medical resources from which to glean information. This book serves to underscore this concept and advance the field of patient education.” Dr. Prabhu co-authored this book with Drs. Nitin Agarwal, M.D., and David R. Hansberry, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Prabhu also has humanities interests in the history of medicine and poetry. He has published historical pieces on notable scientists who have substantially contributed to the advancement of medicine and science, including the fields of radiation oncology, dermatology, neurology, and genetics. His poetry reflecting on medical experiences has been published in Medical Humanities, a BMJ journal.
Outside of radiation oncology, Dr. Prabhu enjoys listening to and occasionally performing improv comedy, playing basketball, and hiking. He is a native of Morgantown, WV.
Dr. Prabhu’s publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine’s publication database.
Education and Training
- B.S., Economics, University of Pittsburgh, 2014
- M.D., University of Pittsburgh, 2018
- Transitional Medicine Year (PGY-1), University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Bert and Sally O’Malley Award for Outstanding Clinical Research, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2018
- Young Oncologist Essay Award, ARS Conference, 2017
- 1st prize Paper Presentation Award, AUR Annual Meeting, 2017
- Poster of Distinction, AHNS Annual Meeting, 2015
- Foundation for Global Scholars Global Changemaker Legacy Award, 2015-2016
- MaryAnn/Thomas Vates Jr Medical School Grant, 2014-2018
- University of Pittsburgh Sara Sniderman Scholarship/Honors College Scholarship, 2010-2014
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation Scholarship, 2010-2014
- National Merit Corporation Scholarship, 2010
- President’s Volunteer Service Award, Gold Level, 2010
- Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow, 2009
- Thomas J, Prabhu AV, Heron DE, Beriwal S. Twitter and Brachytherapy: A Descriptive Analysis of ‘Tweets’ Over Six Years by Patients and Healthcare Professionals. Brachytherapy. 2018;17(6):1004-1010.
- Randhawa S, Viqar A, Strother J, Prabhu AV, Xia F, Heron DE, Beriwal S. How Do Patients Rate Their Radiation Oncologists in the Modern Era: An Analysis of Vitals.com. Cureus. 2018;10(9):e3312.
- Jacobs R, Prabhu AV, Monaco EA III, Tonetti D, Agarwal N. Patient Perception of Gamma Knife Stereotactic Radiosurgery through Twitter and Instagram. Interdiscip Neurosurg. 2018;13:138-140.
- Prabhu AV, Karukonda P, Hansberry DR, Heron DE, Thomas CR Jr. A Window to Internet-Based Information Seeking of US Fourth-Year Medical Students: Are Radiation Oncology Residency Program Websites Comprehensive? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018;102(4):789-791.
- Prabhu AV, Quang TS, Funahashi R, Gupta R, Badeti S, Adeeb N, Moore JM, Agarwal N, Heron DE, Beriwal S. A National WestlawNext Database Analysis of Malpractice Litigation in Radiation Oncology. Fed Pract. 2018; 35(1):S44-S52.
- Rock CB, Prabhu AV, Fuller CD, Thomas CR Jr, Holliday EB. Evaluation of the Relative Citation Ratio, a New National Institutes of Health-Supported Bibliometric Measure of Research Productivity, among Academic Radiation Oncologists. J Am Coll Radiol. 2018;15(3 Pt A):469-474.
- Prabhu AV, Randhawa S, Clump D, Heron DE, Beriwal S. What Do Patients Think About Their Radiation Oncologists: An Assessment of Patient Reviews on Healthgrades. Cureus. 2018;10(2): e2165.
- Prabhu AV, Kim C, De Guzman E, Zhao E, Madill E, Cohen J, Hansberry DR, Agarwal N, Heron DE, Beriwal S. Reputation Management and Content Control: An Analysis of Radiation Oncologists’ Digital Identities. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99(5):1083-1091.
- Prabhu AV, Sturgis CD, Lai C, Maxwell JH, Merzianu M, Hernandez-Prera JC, Purgina B, Thompson LDR, Tuluc M, Yang X, Seethala R, Ferris RL, Chiosea S. Improving margin revision: Characterization of tumor bed margins in early oral tongue cancer. Oral Oncol. 2017;75:184-188.
- Prabhu AV, Lieber BA, Henry JK, Agarwal N, Tabbosha M, Okonkwo DO. Early Postoperative Complications for Elderly Patients Undergoing Single-Level Decompression for Lumbar Disk Herniation, Ligamentous Hypertrophy, or Neuroforaminal Stenosis. Neurosurgery. 2017;81(6):1005-1010.
- Prabhu AV, Crihalmeanu T, Hansberry DR, Agarwal N, Glaser C, Clump DA, Heron DE, Beriwal S. Online palliative care and oncology patient education resources through Google: Do they meet national health literacy recommendations? Pract Radiat Oncol. 2017;7(5):306-310.
- Hansberry DR, Gupta R, Prabhu AV, Agarwal N, Cox M, Joneja U, Curtis M, Harrop JS, Flanders A. Thoracic Spinal Osteochondroma: A Rare Presentation of Spinal Cord Compression. Clinical Imaging. 2017;45:18-21.
- Prabhu AV, Branstetter BF IV. The CT Prevalence of Arrested Pneumatization of the Sphenoid Sinus in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016;37(10):1916-1919.
- Prabhu AV, Hansberry DR, Agarwal N, Clump DA, Heron DE. Radiation Oncology and Online Patient Education Materials: Deviating from NIH and AMA Recommendations. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;96(3):521-528.
- Prabhu AV, Grandis J, Branstetter BF IV. A Young Man With Chronic Discharge From the Skin of the Lateral Neck. Thyroglossal duct fistula. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016;142(1):99-100.
- Maxwell JH1, Thompson LD1, Brandwein-Gensler MS, Weiss BG, Canis M, Purgina B, Prabhu AV, Lai C, Shuai Y, Carroll WR, Duvvuri U, Kim S, Johnson JT, Ferris RL, Seethala R, Chiosea SI. Early Oral Tongue Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Sampling of Margins from Tumor Bed and Worse Local Control. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015;141(12):1104-1110. (1both authors contributed equally)
- Prabhu AV, Kale HA, Branstetter BF IV. Residual Cervical Thymus: A Normal CT Finding That May Be Present Throughout Patients’ Lives. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2015;36(8):1525-1528.
Selected Humanities Publications
- Thomas J, Prabhu AV. Louis Johnson: First Cold War SecDef. Fed Pract. 2018;35(8):47-48.
- Crihalmeanu T, Ayyaswami V, Prabhu AV. Friedrich Daniel von Recklinghausen. JAMA Dermatol. 2018;154(8):921.
- Patel M, Ayyaswami V, Prabhu AV. Theodore Lawless: A Physician-Scientist, Philanthropist, and Champion of the African-American Community. JAMA Dermatol. 2018;154(4):446.
- Patel M, Ayyaswami V, Prabhu AV. Sir James Paget—Contributions of a Surgeon and Pathologist. JAMA Dermatol. 2018;154(3):335.
- Kashkoush A1, Patel D1, Prabhu AV, Benedek TG. Henri Rendu and His Contributions to Dermatology and Neurology. JAMA Dermatol. 2017;153(2):183. (1both authors contributed equally)
- Sood A, Ayyaswami V, Prabhu AV, Benedek TG. Frederic Edward Mohs, MD-The Pioneer of Chemosurgery. JAMA Dermatol. 2017;153(6):522.
- Gupta R, Karanfilian K, Kashkoush A, Prabhu AV, Benedek TG. Of Wine Stains and Vases— William Allen Sturge’s Diverse Legacy. JAMA Dermatol. 2017;153(5):426.
- Prabhu AV, Oddis CV. The Legacy of Maurice Raynaud. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152(11):1253.
- Patel P, Prabhu AV, Oddis CV. The Rise of Henri-Alexandre Danlos and His Contributions to Dermatologic Therapeutics and Radiation Research. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152(10):1113.
- Ayyaswami V, Prabhu AV, Pugliano-Mauro M. Howard Green and the Accidental Birth of the Stem Cell Era. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152(8):912.