Mausam Patel, M.D., joined the Department of Radiation Oncology residency program in July 2018. He graduated from the University of Miami with a Bachelor’s degree in biochemistry and mathematics in 2010. He then obtained his medical degree from the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine, graduating in 2016. He completed his intern year in medicine at JFK Medical Center in Atlantis, FL followed by a year in radiology residency at Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah, GA.
Dr. Patel’s research interests include the study of cancer epidemiology and survival using large national databases including SEER, SEER-Medicare, and NCDB. He has published multiple peer-reviewed articles and abstracts in various journals and presented oral and poster presentations at local and national conferences including ASTRO, NCCN, and ASCO.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Patel enjoys hiking, traveling, horror movies, and extreme sports. He is a Florida native.
Dr. Patel’s publications can be reviewed through the National Library of Medicine’s publication database.
Education and Training
B.S., Biochemistry and Mathematics, University of Miami, 2010
M.D., University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 2016
Preliminary Medicine Year (PGY-1), JFK Medical Center, 2017
Radiology residency, Memorial Health University Medical Center, 2018
Honors and Awards
- Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award, 2020
- University of Miami Mathematics and Science Scholarship, 2007-2010
- Challenge the Experts Scholar, 2007
- Patel, M.A., et al., Brachytherapy vs external beam therapy among NSCLC patients undergoing limited surgical resection. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 2021. 147(3): p. 853-861.
- Patel M, Bimali M, Howie C, et al. The role of radiotherapy among patients with prostate ductal adenocarcinoma. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer. 2020.
- Veluvolu M, Patel M, Narayanasamy G, Kim T. Definitive single fraction stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for inoperable early-stage breast cancer: A case report. Reports of Practical Oncology & Radiotherapy. 2020;25(5):760-764.
- Patel M, Kim T, Li C, Safar A, Maraboyina S. SBRT versus nephrectomy in the treatment of renal cell carcinoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020;38(15_suppl):5059.
- Udayakumar TS, Betancourt DM, Ahmad A, Tao W, Totiger TM, Patel M, et al. Radiation Attenuates Prostate Tumor Antiviral Responses to Vesicular Stomatitis Virus Containing Interferon-β, Resulting in Pronounced Antitumor Systemic Immune Responses. Molecular Cancer Research. 2020:molcanres.0836.2019.
- Miljanic M, Prabhu AV, Patel M, Lewis GD, Kim T. Analysis of patent innovation in the field of brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2020.
- Patel M, Li C, Aronson JH, et al: The effect of post mastectomy radiation therapy on survival in breast cancer patients with N1mic disease. The Breast. 51:50-56, 2020.
- Patel M, Nowsheen S, Maraboyina S, et al: The role of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitors in the treatment of cancer and methods to overcome resistance: a review. Cell & Bioscience. 10:35, 2020.
- Stoyanova R, Breto A, Ishkanian A, et al: Contrasting Circulating Tumor Cells and Free Circulating DNA Responses in Men Treated for Prostate Cancer after Primary Versus Salvage Radiotherapy. Clinical Oncology and Research:1-9, 2020.
- Patel M, Im J, Ivy A, Maraboyina S, Kim T. The epidemiology and role of surgery in the treatment of urethral clear cell carcinoma. Int Urol Nephrol. 2020;52(1):51-57.
- Patel M, Hans HS, Pan K, Khan H, Donath E, Caldera H. The Impact of Epidemiological Factors and Treatment Interventions on Survival in Patients With Signet Ring Cell Carcinoma of the Pancreas. American Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2018;41(12):1176-1184.
- Pan K, Khan H, Vega RM, Hastings B, Patel M, Ness K. Treatment of ipilimumab-induced diarrhea in melanoma patient with Humira [abstract]. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2017; 12 (suppl 2). http://www.shmabstracts.com/abstract/treatment-of-ipilimumab-induced-diarrhea- in-melanoma-patient-with-humira/. Accessed June 17, 2017
- Obeid J-P, Stoyanova R, Kwon D, Patel M, Padgett K, Slingerland J, et al. Multiparametric evaluation of preoperative MRI in early stage breast cancer: prognostic impact of peri-tumoral fat. Clinical and Translational Oncology. 2017;19(2):211-218.
- Maranda EL, Ayache A, Cortizo J, Patel MA, Patel J, Jimenez J. Historical Identification of Melanoma—Dark, Deep, and Deadly. JAMA Dermatology. 2016;152(6):654-654.
- Patel M, Stoyanova R, Kwon D, et al. Erectile Tissue Quantitative DCE-MRI Parameters and Sexual Function Before and After Radiation Therapy in Men With Prostate Cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics. 2015;93(3):E219-E220.
- Sandler K, Patel M, Lynne C, et al. Multiparametric-MRI and Targeted Biopsies in the Management of Prostate Cancer Patients on Active Surveillance. Frontiers in Oncology. 2015;5(4).
- Zhang L, Zhang Q, Jones K, Patel M, Gong F. The chromatin remodeling factor BRG1 stimulates nucleotide excision repair by facilitating recruitment of XPC to sites of DNA damage. Cell Cycle. 2009;8(23):3953-3959.