Emeritus Professor of Anatomy and Interdisciplinary Toxicology
Post Doctoral Training
NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship, Dept. of Pathology, The George Washington University
Experimental oncology, cell kinetics, chronochemotherapy; PreK-14 health science outreach
Curriculum Vitae: Word
Address: Office: Rahn/210
Mailing address: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
4301 W. Markham St., Slot 510
Little Rock, AR 72205
Fax: (501) 296-1267
- Burns, E.R. 2017 Healthy Skin: Cancer Education for School Teachers and Nurses Using a “Train and Equip” Method. J. Cancer Educ. 32:72-78.
- Burns, E.R. 2015 Use of a Break Point Method to Assign Course Letter Grades is Problematic. Anat. Sci. Educ. 8:490-491.
- Burns, E.R. and J. Garrett 2015 Student Failures on First-Year Basic Science Courses and the USMLE Step 1: A Retrospective Study Over a 20-Year Period. Anat. Sci. Educ. 8(2): 120-125.
- Burns, E. R. 2014 Cancer Prevention and Control: Where are the Kids? J. Cancer Education. 29 (2): 209-210.
- Burns, E. R. 2012 Healthy Lungs: Cancer Education for Middle School Teachers Using a “Train and Equip” Method. J. Cancer Education 27(1):179-185.
- Burns, E. R. 2010 “Anatomizing” Reversed: Use of Examination Questions that Foster Use of Higher Order Learning Skills by Students. Anat. Sci. Educ. 3:330-334.
- Burns, E. R. 2008 Use of the Published Lance Armstrong Cancer Story to Teach Health Science Content to High School Students. The American Biology Teacher 70:17-22.
- Burns, E. R. 2008 Functional Anatomy of the Cardiovascular System: Professional Development for PreK-3 Teachers Using a “Train and Equip” Method Results in Learning Opportunities for Students. Anat. Sci. Educ. 1:119-125.
- Burns, E. R. and M. S. Lindsey 2004 Cancer education and cancer prevention education for K-12 teachers and students. J. Cancer Education 19:105-110.Burns, E. R. 2002 Anatomy of a Successful K-12 Educational Outreach Program in the Health Sciences–Eleven Years Experience at one Medical Sciences Campus. Anatomical Record (New Anatomist) 269:181-193.
- Burns, E.R., Sateia, M.J. and Lee-Chiong, T.L. 2002 Basic Principles of Chronobiology and Disorders of Circadian Sleep-Wake Rhythm. In: Sleep Medicine, Chiong, Sateia and Carskadon, eds., Hanley & Belfus, Inc., Philadelphia, pp 245-254.
- Burns, E.R. 2000 Biological Time and In Vivo Research: A “Field Guide” to Pitfalls. Anatomical Record (New Anatomist) 261:141-152.
- Pasley, J. M., E. R. Burns and P. L. Rayford (1994) Circadian variations of gastrointestinal peptides and cell proliferation in rats: effects of adrenalectomy. Recent Progress in Hormone Research 49:359-365.