Studying Today’s Questions to Solve Tomorrow’s Cases
Research and clinical trials are essential to the Department of Pediatrics and the Hospitalist Section. At any given time, our team is taking part in publicly- and privately-funded studies, presenting findings at conferences and publishing in renowned peer-reviewed medical journals. Take a look at some of our recent efforts.
Names in bold are PHM faculty/fellow, names in italics are UAMS/ACH Trainees
Current and Recent Section Projects
- Increasing Nursing Presence on Family-Centered Rounds
- Better Antibiotic Selection in Children (BASiC), VIP Network
- High-flow Interventions to Facilitate Less Overuse (HiFLO), VIP Network
- Reducing Unnecessary Electrolyte Testing (multicenter)
- Demographic and clinical characteristics of pediatric COVID-19 in Arkansas: March-December 2020. Sanders SC, Taylor MD, Filipek J, Williford D, Nguyen C, Fisher CR, Scheffler SM, Smith ES, Martin P, Latch RL, Snowden J, Wu CL, Cantu RM. Medicine (Baltimore). 2022;101(42):e31058.
- Fournier’s Gangrene: A Rare Infectious Entity in an Adolescent with Type II Diabetes. Sanders SC, Taylor MD, Smith ES, Cantu RM. Global Pediatrics Health. 2022;9.
- Cantu RM, Sanders SC, Turner GA, Snowden JN, Ingold A, Hartzell S, House S, Frederick D, Chalwadi UK, Siegel ER, Kennedy JL. Younger and Rural Children are More Likely to be Hospitalized for SARS-CoV-2 Infections. medRxiv [Preprint]. 2023 Mar 30:2023.03.29.23287924. doi: 10.1101/2023.03.29.23287924. PMID: 37034695; PMCID: PMC10081401.
- Cox C, Patel K, Cantu R, Akmyradov C, Irby K. Hypokalemia Measurement and Management in Patients With Status Asthmaticus on Continuous Albuterol. Hosp Pediatr. 2022 Feb 1;12(2):198-204. doi: 10.1542/hpeds.2021-006265. PMID: 35018439.
- Pugh CP, Latch R. Does resident teaching improve medical students’ national board of medical examiners knowledge and satisfaction with residents as teachers. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2021 May-Aug;34(2):88-89. doi: 10.4103/efh.EfH_63_20. PMID: 34937306.
- Kleppe DM, Patel AD, Goodin J, Cardillo AB, Canon S, Latch RL, Ilyas M, Rosenbaum ER. Amoxicillin-Induced Crystalline Nephropathy Presenting as Ureteral Obstruction. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2020 Jun;59(6):614-617. doi: 10.1177/0009922820912214. Epub 2020 Mar 31. PMID: 32233648.
- McCarson KL, Walters CA, Cantu RM. Unusual Cause of Sepsis in a 10-Year-Old Female. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2020 Oct;59(11):1036-1039. doi: 10.1177/0009922820927020. Epub 2020 May 30. PMID: 32475152.
- Coe M, Gruhler H, Schefft M, Williford D, Burger B, Crain E, Mihalek AJ, Santos M, Cotter JM, Trowbridge G, Kessenich J, Nolan M, Tchou MJ. Learning from Each Other: A Multisite Collaborative to Reduce Electrolyte Testing. Pediatr Qual Saf. 2020 Oct 26;5(6):e351. doi: 10.1097/pq9.0000000000000351. PMID: 33134756; PMCID: PMC7591129.
- Cantu RM, Gowen MS, Tang X, Mitchell K. Barriers to Breastfeeding in Female Physicians. Breastfeed Med. 2018 Jun;13(5):341-345. doi: 10.1089/bfm.2018.0022. Epub 2018 May 9. PMID: 29741914.
- Cantu RM, Pruitt CM, Samuy N, Wu CL. Predictors of emergency department discharge following pediatric drowning. Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Mar;36(3):446-449. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2017.08.057. Epub 2017 Sep 4. PMID: 28899637.
- Don’t Just Pump and Dump: Managing Breastfeeding Mothers on Medications and More. Dickinson B; Cantu RM, Debord J. Mini-plenary presentation at Pediatric Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting, July 28, 2022; Orlando, FL.
- Procalcitonin: What Is It Good For? Slagle B; Sanders SC; Cantu RM. Oral presentation at Pediatric Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting, July 29, 2022; Orlando, FL.
- Facial Cellulitis leading to Bilateral Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis: A Case Report. Abu-Rmaileh M, Smith ES, Edgar-Zarate CL. Poster presentation at Society of Hospital Medicine 2021.
- Oh Snap!: A Rare Differential Diagnosis to Non-Accidental Trauma. Scheffler S; Sanders SC. Poster Presentation, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference. 2021.
- Diagnostic Workup and Admission for Complex Febrile Seizure: Should We Be Doing Less? Donowitz K, Rebecca RM, Sanders SC, Gambrell J, Edwards H, Wu CL, Healy A, Tripathi J, Nguyen C, Burch R, Spray B, Lee C. Research Poster Presentation at Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference 2021.
- What Did They Take?: Toxidromes and Ingestions in Pediatric Hospital Medicine. Cantu RM, Latch R. Workshop presentation at Pediatric Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL. July 2020.
- Don’t Stop Believin’!: Faculty and Fellow Development in the Virtual Age. Webb N, Cantu RM, Cheng L, Clemente M, Shaw R, Varghese S, Lee C. Workshop presentation at Pediatric Hospital Medicine Program Directors’ Conference, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting, July 22, 2020.
- Anorexia and anorexia nervosa are not the same thing: A common presentation with an uncommon diagnosis. Murphy, L, Sanders, S. Conundrum Mini-Platform, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference. 2020.
- Bone and Skin Lesions Following Soccer Injury. Nguyen, C, Sanders, S. Conundrum Mini-Platform, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference. 2020.
- Double, Double, Fever and Trouble: A Case of Sepsis Secondary to a Rare Mullerian Abnormality. McCarson K, Walters CA, Cantu RM. Podium poster presentation at: Pediatric Hospital Medicine conference; July 25, 2019; Seattle, WA.
- Pediatric Surgery Remote Telemedicine Consults
Funding Agency: Translational Research Institute (TRI) Pilot Program 2022-23
Total dollars: $50,000.00
Principal Investigators: Lindsey Wolf
Co-Investigator: Sara Sanders
- Innovations in Pediatric Medical Education.
Funding Agency: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Department of Pediatrics.
Start date: 8/1/2019.
Total dollars: $24,678.
Principal Investigators: Rebecca Cantu, Sheva Chervinskiy