Welcome from the Chief
We are a group of pediatric hospitalists, colleagues, and friends with pretty much just one thing in common – our love for this job. Some of us have always been in Arkansas and some come from other states and countries, but we’ve all made Little Rock our home. We have a variety of interests in addition to hospital medicine, ranging from education to informatics and everything in between. You can find out more about our faculty members here.
Our hospitalists are here 24 hours a day, every day of the year, caring for patients from their first days in the world up through adulthood, whether it’s their first and only hospital visit or one of many stays.
- Our hospitalists cover three teaching teams (including residents, interns, medical students, and APRNs) and one direct-care hospitalist-only team
- Our hospitalist-only team can flex from two to four hospitalists in times of high acuity or census to help preserve an optimal educational census for students and residents on teaching teams
- We play a key role in the Operations Center, managing direct patient admissions, patient placement and hospital throughput
- We discharge ~6,000 patients per year, ranging from acute illness to chronic complex to critical disease
We take great pride in contributing to the education of medical students, residents, and fellows.
- We have the first and only pediatric hospital medicine fellowship in the state! Our two-year, ACGME-accredited program offers a comprehensive training in hospital medicine including a wide variety of clinical and research experiences
- Our section includes multiple finalists for the Jacobs Teaching Award, nominated by pediatric residents (nominated by pediatric residents) and Department of Pediatrics Educators of the Year
- In 2022, 80% of our hospitalists were specifically named by medical students as outstanding educators
- We now have nine PHM subspecialty board-certified hospitalists, all with a 100% first-time pass rate!
- Twice-monthly continuing medical education sessions focusing on pediatric hospital medicine topics (with CME!)
We are constantly striving to improve the health and lives of our patients through the practice of evidence-based medicine and high-value care, family-centered care.
Are you considering a career in pediatric hospital medicine? We’re recruiting! Contact Dr. Cantu or Meghan Baser! If you’re a potential fellow, check out our fellowship page or follow us on Instagram and Twitter @achphm for more information.
Rebecca Cantu, M.D.
Section Chief of Pediatric Hospital Medicine
Associate Professor of Pediatrics