Welcome from the Division Director
The Division of Hospital Medicine at UAMS, created in July 2016, is composed of a diverse group of over 12 faculty and staff members who are focused on the delivery of evidence-based care and medical education for the state of Arkansas. Our faculty members provide patient-centered inpatient care on four teams at the UAMS Medical Center. Members of our division are involved in leadership roles in the medical education of students and residents and have been recognized as some of the best educators in the UAMS faculty. A number of quality projects and clinical research activities are underway, and a number of our faculty are involved with student and resident trainees in their scholarly activities.
I am honored to be a member of and to lead this division in the 21st century.
Aaron S. Wenger, M.D.
Director, Division of Hospital Medicine
UAMS hospitalists are dedicated to the development of our next generation of physicians, using validated acute inpatient medicine curricula for residents and medical students.
UAMS hospitalists are also actively involved in the training of non-physician healthcare providers. Our culture of excellence is based on a team approach to patient care, and we strongly recognize the importance of developing inpatient competencies in all of our healthcare allies.
Quality Focus Areas
UAMS hospitalists are leaders in promoting a culture of safety and continuous improvement.
Transition of Care Optimization
- Medication reconciliation
- Discharge education
- Readmission monitoring and reduction
- Reduction and Eventual Elimination (Nosocomial C diff colitis; Central line-associated bloodstream infections; Catheter-associated urinary tract infections; Post-admission HCAP)
- Evidence-based Treatment of Pneumonia and Sepsis
Innovative QI to Improve Patient Care
- Ongoing projects studying possible improvements in the treatment of medication complications, gastrointestinal bleeding, and pain management
Hospital Medicine Administration
Physical: UAMS Little Rock Shorey Building Sixth Floor Suite 6/33