Assessment, Examinations, and Grading
Six components contribute to the course grade. These are three written examinations, three practical examinations, periodic individual quizzes, periodic group quizzes, in-lab dissection assessments and participation in the course research conference.
All courses in the pre-clerkship phase of the medical curriculum are designated as Pass/Fail. Percent scores are calculated by dividing the total number of points by the number of points possible. Pass is defined as 70.0% and above. Failed is defined as below 70.0%.
Book and Equipment List
Lab Coats: All students must wear a brown lab coat in the dissecting laboratory and most students also elect to wear surgical scrubs. These are personal items purchased by students. The teaching complex has four student locker rooms and with sufficient full-size individual lockers for all students. Faculty have separate locker rooms.
Dissection Instruments: The Division of Clinical Anatomy supplies dissection instruments, spare scalpel blades, and surgical gloves.
- Required: Grant’s Dissector, 17th Edition (2020), Alan J. Detton, Wolters Kluwer
- Required: Gray’s Anatomy Review, Second Edition (2015) or Third Edition (2021), M. Loukas, G. Colborn, P.H. Abrahams, and S.W. Carmichael, Elsevier Health Sciences
- Required: Gray’s Basic Anatomy, Second Edition (2017) or Third Edition (2022), R.L. Drake, A.W. Vogl, A.W.M. Mitchell, Elsevier Health Sciences
- Not required for the Northwest campus
- Access to one of the following is required:
- Netter, F.H., Atlas of Human Anatomy
- Agur, A.M.R. and Dalley, A.F., Grant’s Atlas of Anatomy
- Tank, P.W. and Gest T.G., LWW Atlas of Anatomy
- Rohen, J.W., Yokochi, C. and Lutjen-Drecoll, E., Color Atlas of Anatomy