The pediatric cardiology fellowship at UAMS/ACH provides diverse options for mentored research. Resources available to fellows include database projects (using the Pediatric Health Information System [PHIS] and National Birth Defects Prevention Study [NBDPS], to name a few), unique opportunities in fetal cardiology (including the use of fetal magnetocardiography, available at only several centers worldwide), and bench research through the Arkansas Children’s Research Institute (ranked among the top pediatric research institutes for NIH funding). Fellows frequently win awards for abstracts presented at national and international meetings; many graduating fellows have gone on to have successful careers as independent investigators at academic institutions nationwide.
Recent Fellow Publications
- Ahmed A, Prodhan P, Spray BJ, Bolin EH. Impact of Perioperative Tachydysrhythmias on Mortality and Length of Stay in Complete Repair of Tetralogy of Fallot: A Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study from the Pediatric Health Information System. Cardiology. 2021;146(3):368-374. Epub 2021 Mar 18.
- Arthur L, Schoeneberg L, Angtuaco M, Greenberg SB, Renno MS, Das S. Advanced imaging improves detection of baffle leaks and stenoses after atrial switch compared with transthoracic echocardiography. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. Epub 2021 Apr 17.
- Brown CC, Garcia X, Bhakta RT, Sanders E, Prodhan P. Severe Acute Neurologic Involvement in Children with Hemolytic-Uremic Syndrome. Pediatrics. 2021 Mar;147(3):e2020013631. Epub 2021 Feb 12.
- Crawford RL, Bolin EH, Prodhan P, Renno MS, Knecht KR. Variable Presentation of COVID-19 in Pediatric Patients. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2021 Feb 1;40(2):e88-e90.
- Dalby ST, Daily JA, Greiten LE. Circumaortic double left innominate vein: a rare echocardiographic diagnosis confirmed during congenital heart surgery. Cardiol Young. 2021 Mar;31(3):460-461.
- Sanders E, Brown CC, Blaszak RT, Crawford B, Prodhan P. Cardiac Manifestation among Children with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. J Pediatr. Epub 2021 Apr 2.
- Schoeneberg L, Prodhan P, Spray B, Akmyradov C, Zakaria D. Risk Factors for Increased Post-operative Length of Stay in Children with Coarctation of Aorta. Pediatr Cardiol. Epub 2021 May 29.
- Schoeneberg LA, Zakaria D, Bolin EH, Eble BK, Miquel-Verges F, Sandlin AT, Bornemeier RA. A Fetal Presentation of a Ruptured Right Ventricular Diverticulum. Pediatr Cardiol. 2021 Apr;42(4):978-980. Epub 2021 Mar 16.
- Ahmed A, LaCroix GA, Bader Ishqair AH, Shivaram P, Das S. Late transcatheter recanalization of a closed ductus arteriosus in a 2-month-old infant with tetralogy of Fallot and isolated left pulmonary artery. Ann Pediatr Cardiol. 2020 Oct-Dec;13(4):357-360.
- Ahmed A, Shivaram P, Zakaria D. Pseudoaneurysm of the mitral-aortic intervalvular fibrosa following endocarditis and aortic valve surgery in an infant-Case report and exhaustive systematic review of pediatric cases. Echocardiography. 2020 Sep;37(9):1495-1505. Epub 2020 Aug 29.
- Sanders EN, Zakaria D. Ebstein anomaly combined with unique pulmonary venous abnormality in a 9-month-old child. Cardiol Young. 2020 Jul;30(7):1026-1028. Epub 2020 Jun 2.
- Purifoy ET, Spray BJ, Riley JS, Prodhan P, Bolin EH. Effect of Trisomy 21 on Postoperative Length of Stay and Non-cardiac Surgery After Complete Repair of Tetralogy of Fallot. Pediatr Cardiol. 2019 ec; 40(8):1627-1632. PMID: 31494702.
- Dalby ST, Tang X, Daily JA, Sukumaran S, Collins RT, Bolin EH. Effect of pericardial effusion on outcomes in children admitted with systemic lupus erythematosus: a multicenter retrospective cohort study from the United States. Lupus. 2019 Mar; 28(3):389-395. PMID: 30744520.
- Shivaram P, Angtuaco S, Ahmed A, Daily J, Grigsby DF, Li L, Craft M, Danford D, Kutty S. Age-Related Changes in Inferior Vena Cava Dimensions among Children and Adolescents with Syncope. J Pediatr. 2019 04; 207:49-53.e3. PMID: 30580976.
- Kosiv KA, Gossett JM, Bai S, Collins RT 2nd. Congenital Heart Surgery on In-Hospital Mortality in Trisomy 13 and 18. Pediatrics. 2017;140(5):e20170772. doi:10.1542/peds.2017-0772
Recent Fellow Presentations
- Zabih, A. (2021, June 18–21). Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return to Coronary Sinus with Coronary Sinus Ostial Atresia and a Left Superior Vena Cava [Poster Presentation]. ASE 2021.
- Arthur LC, Zakaria D, Angtuaco M. Late Presentation of Anomalous Left Coronary Artery from the Pulmonary Artery. American Academy of Pediatrics Virtual Experience, October 2020
- Arthur LC, Ferry J, Zakaria D, Spencer H, Knecht K, Echocardiographic Markers of Acute Cellular Rejection. American Academy of Pediatrics Virtual Experience, October 2020
- Arthur LC, Renno M, Greenberg B, Das S. Echocardiography as Insufficient in the Evaluation of Mustard and Senning Survivors. Oral presentation at the North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging Conference, September 2019, Seattle, WA
- Cobb, Harrison. Cutting Balloon Angioplasty on Branch Pulmonary Artery Stenosis In Congenital Heart Disease, oral presentation at PICS-AICS in Sept 2019.
- Schoeneberg, Laura. Utility of Cardiac MRI in Children After out of Hospital Arrest, oral presentation at North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging annual meeting, Sept 2019.
- Crawford, Richard. Mortality Among Children with Heart Disease and Adenovirus Pneumonia Adenovirus, oral presentation at American Academy of Pediatrics Nov 2019.
- Arthur, Lindsay. Transthoracic Echocardiography is an Inadequate Imaging Modality in Senning and Mustard Survivors, oral presentation at North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging annual meeting, Sept 2019.
Recent Fellow Awards
- Lindsay Arthur: Fellow of the Year 2021
- Eric Purifoy, travel award ACC 2019
- Katya Kosiv, best abstract, Fetal Cardiology 2018