Nationally Recognized for Cardiology Research
The pediatric cardiology fellowship at UAMS/ACH provides diverse options for mentored research. Resources available to fellows include database projects (using the Pediatric Health Information System [PHIS] and National Birth Defects Prevention Study [NBDPS], to name a few), unique opportunities in fetal cardiology (including the use of fetal magnetocardiography, available at only several centers worldwide), and bench research through the Arkansas Children’s Research Institute (ranked among the top pediatric research institutes for NIH funding). Fellows frequently win awards for abstracts presented at national and international meetings; many graduating fellows have gone on to have successful careers as independent investigators at academic institutions nationwide.
Recent Fellow Publications
- Nissen T, Zaniletti I, Collins R, Greiten L, Prodhan P, Seib P, Bolin E. Comparison of Postoperative, In-Hospital Outcomes After Complete Repair of Tetralogy of Fallot Between 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome and Trisomy 21. Pediatr Cardiol. 2022 Feb;43(2):290-300. Doi: 10.1007/s00246-021-02683-1. Epub 2021 Jul 30. PMID: 34331082.
- Dalby S, Moss M (2021). Severe Cyanosis in a Toddler. The Journal of Pediatrics. 241, 257-8.
- Dalby S, Mitchell W, Greiten L, Reemtsen B, Eisenring C, Zakaria D (2021). Coronary Sinus Ostial Obstruction in Single Ventricle Congenital Heart Disease: Two Patients with Different Outcomes. JACC: Case Reports. 3(12), 1459-62.
- Dalby S, Renno M, Greiten L, Reemtsen B, Eisenring C, Braden E, Bornemeier R, Zakaria D (2021). Development of a large venous collateral after post-operative ostial pulmonary vein atresia: An unusual clinical course. Progress in Pediatric Cardiology. 63, 101380.
- Dalby S, Daily J, & Greiten L (2021). Circumaortic double left innominate vein: a rare echocardiographic diagnosis confirmed during congenital heart surgery. Cardiology in the Young, 31(3), 460-1. PMID: 33504402.
- Brown, C, Garcia, X, Bhakta, R, T, Sanders, E, and Prodhan, P. Severe Acute Neurologic Involvement in Children with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. Pediatrics. 2021.
- Xu W, Merves S, Arthur L, Zakaria D, Reemtsen B, Greiten L. Rare Case of a Newborn with Heterotaxy Syndrome, Right Aortic Arch and an Isolated Left Brachiocephalic Artery Arising from a Left Ductus Arteriosus. J Angiol Vasc Surg 2021, 6: 064.
- Sanders E, Brown C, Blaszak R, Crawford B, Prodhan P. Cardiac Manifestation among Children with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. J Pediatr. Epub 2021 Apr 2.
- Ahmed A, Prodhan P, Spray B, Bolin E. Impact of Perioperative Tachydysrhythmias on Mortality and Length of Stay in Complete Repair of Tetralogy of Fallot: A Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study from the Pediatric Health Information System. Cardiology. 2021;146(3):368-374. Epub 2021 Mar 18.
- Arthur L, Schoeneberg L, Angtuaco M, Greenberg SB, Renno MS, Das S. Advanced imaging improves detection of baffle leaks and stenoses after atrial switch compared with transthoracic echocardiography. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. Epub 2021 Apr 17.
- Crawford R, Bolin E, Prodhan P, Renno M, Knecht K. Variable Presentation of COVID-19 in Pediatric Patients. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2021 Feb 1;40(2):e88-e90.
- Schoeneberg L, Prodhan P, Spray B, Akmyradov C, Zakaria D. Risk Factors for Increased Post-operative Length of Stay in Children with Coarctation of Aorta. Pediatr Cardiol. Epub 2021 May 29.
- Schoeneberg L, Zakaria D, Bolin E, Eble B, Miquel-Verges F, Sandlin A, Bornemeier R. A Fetal Presentation of a Ruptured Right Ventricular Diverticulum. Pediatr Cardiol. 2021 Apr;42(4):978-980. Epub 2021 Mar 16.
Recent Fellow Poster Presentations
- Sanders, E, Almasri, M, and Zakaria, D. A Rare Echocardiographic Finding in a Teenager Presenting with Acute Chest Pain. Poster presentation at American Society of Echocardiography in Seattle, WA. June 2022.
- Almasri, M, Sanders, E, Zakaria, D. An Unusual Case of Infantile Failure to Thrive. Poster presentation at American College of Cardiology conference in Washington, DC. April 2022.
- Almasri M, Hussain S, Best T et al. Mitral Annular Plane Systolic Excursion Index (iMAPSE): An Easy And Simple Tool For Assessment Of Left Ventricular Systolic Function In Pediatric Patients With COVID-19. European Society of Cardiology (ESC Congress 2022), August 2022
- Almasri M, Sadawi M, Hussain S, et al. Meta-analysis on QI initiatives to decrease rarely appropriate use of echocardiography in pediatrics. European Society of Cardiology (ESC Congress 2022), August 2022.
- Almasri M, Pumphrey L, Das S. Implant and midterm outcomes of subcutaneous implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (S-ICD) in pediatric population. European Society of Cardiology, August 2022.
- Almasri M, Allen B, Pumphrey L, et al. Clinical profile of 110 young patients with sinus node dysfunction who required a pacemaker. European Society of Cardiology (ESC Congress 2022), August 2022.
- Almasri M, Dossey A, Zakaria D. “Does the right coronary artery have an abnormal origin?” European Society of Cardiology, EuroEcho2021, December 2021.
- Dalby ST, Zakaria D. Differential Cyanosis in a Neonate with D-Transposition of the Great Arteries: Role of Comprehensive Transthoracic Echocardiography in Solving a Clinical Dilemma. Poster presentation at American Society of Echocardiography, Annual Scientific Session, June 2021.
- Zabih, A.(2021, June 18–21). Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return to Coronary Sinus with Coronary Sinus Ostial Atresia and a Left Superior Vena Cava [Poster Presentation]. ASE 2021.
Recent Fellow Oral Presentations
- Dalby S, Angtuaco M. Device Closure of a Coronary Fistula in a Pediatric Heart Transplant Patient. Podium presentation at Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Annual Scientific Session. Atlanta, GA, May 19-22, 2022.
- Xu W. Racial and Socioeconomic Disparities in Pediatric Heart Transplant Outcomes in the Era of Anti-Thymocyte Globulin Induction. Oral Presentation at ISHLT 2022.
- Zabih, A. Partial Pulmonary Venous Return With and Without Atrial Septal Defects: A Multicenter Analysis. American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference; October 2021.
Recent Fellow Awards
- Murad Almasri: Best Research Poster, Fellow’s Day, Arkansas Children’s Hospital, May 2022
- Emily Sanders: Runner Up Best Research Poster, Fellow’s Day, Arkansas Children’s Hospital, May 2022
- Emily Sanders: Recipient of the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Scholarship program, July 2022
- Lindsay Arthur: Arkansas Children’s Hospital Fellow of the Year 2021