Diversity and inclusion are important to the PHM Fellowship Program and to the PHM Section’s faculty and staff. Some of the ways we are working to achieve and improve diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) include the following, and we are always open to feedback and suggestions to do better.
- Continuing the trend of online/virtual recruitment and interviewing to ensure equitable access to applicants of all backgrounds
- Utilization of scoring rubrics to improve the equitable review of all applications
- All members of PHM faculty are encouraged to participate in the recruitment and ranking of applicants, ensuring input from faculty with diverse experiences and backgrounds
- The PHM Section works with the UAMS Division for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to support our commitment to DEI including the use of their faculty recruitment guide with hiring practices designed to build a more equitable and inclusive faculty
- Monthly educational sessions on DEI topics are incorporated into PHM section meetings to empower faculty and fellows to build knowledge around these topics to further improve the care we provide
- PHM faculty receive training in unconscious and conscious bias and how that can impact patient care and interactions with trainees
- Our section encourages the inclusion of race and ethnicity data in research projects to uncover and address potential biases or deviations from the standard of care
- ACH offers several Employee Resource Groups including Black/African American, Latino, People of Color, Sexual and Gender Minority, and Working Mothers of Young Children, which are open to all employees including faculty and trainees
- ACH ranked as a 2020 Top Performer on the Healthcare Equality Index by the Human Rights Campaign, with extensive training and policy addressing non-discrimination, inclusive care, and patient and community engagement
- UAMS ranked seventh in the nation on Forbes Magazine’s Best Employers for Diversity List
- Forbes Magazine has named UAMS on its list of Best Employers for Women 2021.