Our Pediatric Infectious Disease team provides patient-centered care for a variety of short- and long-term infections in children. Our board-certified specialists provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment for a variety of acute and chronic child health conditions. Our team is often called in to consult on cases where a child has a known serious or chronic infection if the patient has a problem with their immune system that places them at high risk for infection, or if they have symptoms that may be related to an infection. Our clinical services include:
- Infectious Disease Clinic: The Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialists provide outpatient consultation for our colleagues throughout the community to assist in managing complex or chronic conditions potentially related to infections. This may include prolonged or recurrent fever or infections without a clear cause, enlarged lymph nodes that persist for months without a clear cause, or other recurrent problems that may be related to infection. The clinic also provides follow-up care for children who have been recently hospitalized with serious infections that require prolonged antibiotics.
- Pediatric Immunodeficiency Clinic: The Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialists provide ongoing care for children with suppressed immune systems, whether this is due to inherited problems with immunity or things that suppress your immune system later in childhood, such as certain medications for cancer or rheumatologic treatment or transplant management; or other acquired immunodeficiency such as the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
- Infectious Disease Hospital Consultation Service: The Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialists provide inpatient consults for families admitted to Arkansas Children’s Hospital (Little Rock) and Arkansas Children’s Northwest to help manage a wide variety of pediatric infections, including:
- Osteomyelitis or septic arthritis, infections of the bones and joints
- Pneumonia, infections of the lung
- Endocarditis, infections of the heart
- Skin and other infections after wounds or other injuries
- Fever due to infections or inflammatory conditions