How to Apply
We thank you for your interest in our forensic psychiatry fellowship program. In order to apply to the program you must have or expect to have completed four years in a General Psychiatry ACGME program. If you meet this requirement and wish to apply to our program, please submit the following information to UAMS Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship, 4301 W. Markham, #589, Little Rock, AR 72205, ATTN: Janis Cockmon:
- A current CV;
- A letter of recommendation from your training director including your date of completion (or anticipated date) and standing in the program; this letter is to be sent directly by training director.
- Two additional letters of recommendation; these letters are to be sent directly by the authors of the letters.
- An original copy of your medical school transcript; Sent directly from the medical school.
- An official copy of your USMLE or COMLEX transcript (with all three scores & attempts) can be obtainedby going to the FSMB website https://www.fsmb.org/licensure/usmle-step-3/transcripts
- ECFMG certificate (for foreign medical school graduates);
- A personal statement regarding your interest in the field of forensic psychiatry;
- Two writing samples – preferably previous forensic evaluations such as competency to stand trial or insanity evaluations, but if you do not have previous forensic reports, then a copy of a discharge summary or a patient’s evaluation would also be useful. You may also include copies of any articles you have written.
Our deadline for applications is December 1; however, we strongly recommend that you submit your application materials as soon as possible. Your application packet will be reviewed by the fellowship director when all requested materials are received. Please note that acceptance into our program is contingent upon your ability to obtain a valid Arkansas medical license. The licensing process takes approximately four months from first submission to receipt of the license.
Our profile on Freida can be found at: https://login.ama-assn.org/account/login. You must create a free profile. Please use this program number to search for our program: 4060433046.
Please feel free to contact me, our fellowship director, Dr. Ben Guise at 501-526-8150, or associate fellowship director, Dr. Lindsey Wilbanks, at Lindsey.Wilbanks@dhs.arkansas.gov if you have any questions.
Janis L. Cockmon
For more information on benefits, please see the UAMS GME handbook.