There is no better way to learn about surgical topics than to read about the diseases and problems that you see in the clinic, hospital ward, emergency room, and operating room.
The Junior Surgery Clerkship utilizes the following required textbook:
Christian DeVirgilio’s Surgery: A Case Based Clinical Review, 1st Edition
We supplement with Peter F. Lawrence’s Essentials of General Surgery, 5th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2012. Please see the pages listed on our reading schedule.
All required reading and weekly quizzes will be based on this text.
Below are additional review books and learning resources which medical students find helpful when progressing through their junior clerkship experience.
- Pestana’s Surgery Notes, 3rd Edition, Kaplan Publishing, 2017
- This strongly recommended resource is excellent for the subspecialty material which appears on the NBME Surgery Subject Exam.
- Lorne H. Blackbourne’s Surgical Recall, 6th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2011
- This is a valuable resource for questions commonly asked in the OR, as well as subspecialty material.
- QBank or UWorld – Medicine questions and Surgery questions
- NMS Case Book
- Steven M. Fiser’s The ABSITE Review, 4th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2013