Helping You Succeed
Thank you for your interest in our program. We have pledged to promote the educational experience and to support the wellbeing of our residents. As the state’s only Adult Level 1 trauma center and a large tertiary referral center, you will be involved in highly complex cases early on in your CA-1/PGY-2 year. Our faculty are highly skilled and proven educators who will mentor you through your PGY-1 to PGY-4 years and beyond. The clinical experience you will receive, combined with our structured didactic curriculum and robust simulation program, will prepare you to join challenging private practice or the most competitive fellowships.
2023 Virtual Open House for Residency Applicants
We will be hosting 2 virtual open houses for residency applicants on Wednesday, August 16 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. CST and Wednesday, August 23 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. CST. During the open house, attendees will have the opportunity to meet with our residents and ask questions about the program, the department, the institution, life in Arkansas, and the unique experiences here at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Applicants interested in attending can register at one of the below links:
What Do We Have to Offer You?
- Outstanding clinical experience
- Big cases early on
- Program dedicated to the educational experience and wellbeing of our residents
- Diverse co-residents
- Family atmosphere
- Couples recruitment / Ensure the right fit for both partners
- Low cost of living
- Lots of outdoor activities
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Department of Anesthesiology Residency Program participates in the National Residency Match Program and takes applications for residency exclusively through ERAS each year. Applicants interested in applying for a residency should apply directly through ERAS. Documents emailed or mailed will not be accepted. Please visit the ERAS website for more information.
We look at the total application with priority given to the following:
- USMLE Step 1, Step 2(CK), Step 2(CS) required. A Pass on Step 1 and scores at or above 220 for Step 2 for M.D. students
- A score of 230 or above for D.O. students
- Prior clinical experience is NOT necessary
- For foreign medical graduates, UAMS will sponsor the J-1 visa required for entrance into our residency program
We will review residency applications submitted through ERAS on a weekly basis until December 1st.
Please submit the following documents electronically via ERAS:
- A completed ERAS application
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Three (3) letters of reference
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Board scores