Helping You Succeed
Thank you for your interest in our program. We have pledged to promote the educational experience and to support the wellbeing of our residents. As the state’s only Adult Level 1 trauma center and a large tertiary referral center, you will be involved in highly complex cases early on in your CA-1/PGY-2 year. Our faculty are highly skilled and proven educators who will mentor you through your PGY-1 to PGY-4 years and beyond. The clinical experience you will receive, combined with our structured didactic curriculum and robust simulation program, will prepare you to join challenging private practice or the most competitive fellowships.
What Do We Have to Offer You?
- Outstanding clinical experience
- Big cases early on
- Program dedicated to the educational experience and wellbeing of our residents
- Diverse co-residents
- Family atmosphere
- Couples recruitment / Ensure the right fit for both partners
- Low cost of living
- Lots of outdoor activities
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Department of Anesthesiology Residency Program participates in the National Residency Match Program and takes applications for residency exclusively through ERAS each year. Applicants interested in applying for a residency should apply directly through ERAS. Documents emailed or mailed will not be accepted. Please visit the ERAS website for more information.
We look at the total application with priority given to the following:
- USMLE Step 1, Step 2(CK), Step 2(CS) required. Scores 220 and above for Steps 1 and 2 are preferred.
- COMLEX Scores of 550 or above for D.O.s accepted in lieu of USMLE
- Prior clinical experience is NOT necessary. The majority of our residents are recent medical school graduates.
- For foreign medical graduates, UAMS will sponsor the J-1 visa required for entrance into our residency program.
We will review residency applications submitted through ERAS on a weekly basis until November 1st. After November 1st, please email Gina Kraft at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ERAS application submission and notification for special review.
Please submit the following documents electronically via ERAS:
- A completed ERAS application
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Three (3) letters of reference
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Board scores
For the 2023 ERAS® cycle, our program will be collecting and reviewing data from applicants’ supplemental ERAS applications. Completion of the supplemental ERAS application is optional.
This optional (and highly encouraged) format allows the applicant to share additional information and help our program find applicants that will thrive in our program.
The supplemental application includes:
- Geographic preferences (by region and by urban/rural setting);
- An opportunity to share your most meaningful and/or impactful life events; and
- Program signals.
The supplemental ERAS application will be delivered via email to applicants with a unique URL that is separate from the MyERAS application and must be completed between August 1 and September 16, 2022.
Mary Beth Gresham
Residency Program Manager