John L. McClellan Memorial Veterans Hospital
- Two thyroid nodule consulting and thyroid biopsy clinics. These clinics are solely dedicated to the management of thyroid nodules. They are built in a way that if a biopsy is indicated for the evaluation of the nodule, it is performed during the consultation. A cytologist is on-site to assess the adequacy of samples. Each fellow performs on average 40 ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsies per year.
- Three general endocrinology clinics that provide consultations and follow-up of patients with bone, pituitary, adrenal, gonadal, and thyroid disorders.
- One insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) clinic each month solely dedicated to the management of insulin pumps and interpretation of blood glucose and CGM data will be assigned to each fellow. These patients are the fellow’s patients throughout the fellowship. Additionally, fellows will have other patients in their clinics that may be on an insulin pump or CGM. They will also have the ability to place blinded CGMs on patients.
- One continuity clinic (half-day) for each fellow
- One clinic dedicated to weight management
- Two metabolic bone diseases clinics
- Fellows will learn the fundamentals of duel-energy X-ray absorptiometry and vertebral morphometry assessment determinations and observe the procedures in the Bone Density Lab. Dr. Weinstein will instruct the fellows on bone mineral density (BMD) quality control, interpretation of findings and recognition of pitfalls. Instruction will include how to determine the BMD testing interval and recommend diagnostic and therapeutic advice to the referring physician. Fellows gain experience in diagnosis and management of metabolic bone disease.
- Faculty clinics (total of 20 half-days) that include:
- Extensive training in managing patients with diabetes, including use of technology (insulin pumps, CGM, advanced hybrid closed loop systems) and use of telehealth modalities. Fellows will work in a multi-disciplinary team to ensure excellent, personalized care for patients with diabetes and other metabolic disorders.
- Diagnosis and management of a broad spectrum of adrenal and pituitary disorders, including adrenal masses, primary hyperaldosteronism, Cushing’s syndrome, adrenal insufficiency, pituitary tumors and hypopituitarism. Invasive tests such as adrenal vein sampling and inferior petrosal sinus sampling are available in-house. Fellows are trained in the ordering and interpretation of dynamic endocrine tests.
- Exceptional training in managing general endocrinology cases, obesity, hyperthyroidism, challenging hypothyroidism cases, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and male hypogonadism.
- Continuity clinic for the senior fellows (half-day/week)
Additional Clinical Training Opportunities
- Pediatric endocrine clinic at ACH
- Reproductive endocrinology clinic experience
- Maternal-fetal medicine clinic for diabetes in pregnancy
- Division of Nuclear Medicine (Dept. of Radiology) on the nuclear medicine techniques
- Department of Ophthalmology (diabetic retinopathy)
- Transgender care
- Endocrine surgery clinic
- Head and Neck oncology clinic