Little Rock: Brand New
Little Rock Travel Ideas
Food and Drinks
- At the Corner and The Root Cafe are amazing breakfast and lunch spots and both reasonably priced.
- The Pantry is a great spot for hearty German cuisine.
- Zaza’s, Iriana’s, Damgoode Pies, and Vino’s are all excellent pizza places.
- For beer, Lost 40 Brewing (also amazing food), Flyway, and Stone’s Throw are all great local places.
- For the ultimate burger go to Big Orange. The Root Cafe’s is pretty incredible as well.
- Rocktown Distillery (also local), and SOMA are great spots to grab some solid cocktails.
- If you miss your dog or just like being around them, we also have a dog bar aptly named Bark Bar.
- For coffee, Mylo is near UAMS and is excellent. Zateo is downtown and carries the local nationally renowned Onyx Coffee.
- Climbing: The king of Arkansas crags is Horseshoe Canyon Ranch. Hundreds of routes. It’s a truly legendary spot. There are also lots of other activities there as well. Sam’s Throne and Jamestown Crag are another couple of local favorites. There are literally hundreds more spots worth looking up.
- Mountain biking: Within the Little Rock area, we have Allsopp Park and Burns Park. About 20 minutes away is the newly minted and amazing Rattlesnake Ridge trail system. An hour away is the legendary North Woods in Hot Springs. Ninety minutes away is Mt. Nebo, another advanced but truly amazing trail. Bentonville and Eureka Springs also have massive expertly designed trail systems. The Womble and Lake Vista bear mentioning as well. Again, truly too many to name here.
- Big Dam Bridge: Known for being the longest bicycle and pedestrian bridge in America, the Big Dam Bridge offers great views of the Arkansas River and Pinnacle Mountain in the distance. Parking is available at the bases of the bridge on either side of the river. Additionally, the bridge connects the north and south sides of the Arkansas River Trail, another great path for walking/running/biking.
- Pinnacle Mountain: Less than a 30-minute drive from UAMS, this is a 2,356-acre park that has over 15 miles of hiking and biking. Here you can find a playground and family-friendly trail if you are traveling with children. You can climb to the top of the mountain and back in about 90 minutes. Once you make it to the top, enjoy beautiful views of the Arkansas River and the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains.
- The Little Rock Zoo: Just a few blocks from UAMS, the Little Rock Zoo is a nice place to spend some time if you are traveling with children or are a zoo lover yourself.
- Museum of Discovery: This children’s museum located in downtown Little Rock was named one of Mensa Society’s top 10 science museums of 2013. Although considered a children’s museum, this museum is also a favorite of adults as well.
- Clinton Library: The Clinton Presidential Library and Museum is located within the Clinton Presidential Center and Park. In addition to the archival collections and research facilities, the Clinton Presidential Library and Museum features exhibits, special events, and educational programs. The museum includes replicas of the Oval Office and the Cabinet Room. Permanent exhibits utilize documents, photographs, videos and interactive stations. A timeline and alcoves highlight domestic and foreign policy, as well as life in the White House.
- Little Rock Central High School: Both a functional high school as well as a museum created to preserve the legacy of the 1957 desegregation crisis and its role in the Civil Rights Movement.
Where to Stay
- If you’re getting an AirBNB, Stift Station, Hillcrest, and the Heights (listed cheapest to most expensive and closest to furthest from UAMS) are likely the best neighborhoods to look for places.
- For more traditional lodging through a hotel or bed and breakfast, The Courtyard Marriott, DoubleTree by Hilton, and The Empress of Little Rock are all great spots downtown, which is relatively close to UAMS. If you want to be as close as possible to UAMS, take a look at Garden Inn and Suites, Four Points by Sheraton, or Staybridge Suites. If you would like to stay in West Little Rock, Embassy Suites is a short drive down Interstate 630 and right across the street from our brand new Trader Joe’s. Comfort Inn and Suites Presidential has a free shuttle service that takes you to and from UAMS, a great option for those who will be without transportation. A great, ultra-cheap hostel is the HI Little Rock Hostel and Museum. If you’re willing to splurge, check out the Capital Hotel downtown or the Burgundy Hotel in West Little Rock.