The Department of Medical Humanities and Bioethics has influenced the practice of medicine by
- Assisting in drafting legislation to authorize living wills and other advance medical directives in Arkansas. Helping establish an ethics committee at the UAMS Medical Center
- Assisting other Arkansas hospitals in establishing ethics committees
- Organizing a statewide network of hospital ethics committees
- Founding the Pediatric Ethics Consortium, a national initiative housed at Arkansas Children’s Hospital
- Presenting numerous talks at adult education centers and nursing homes, and to religious, professional and civic groups.
Medical Humanities Library
The Medical Humanities Library houses a strong collection of resources in the humanistic disciplines. These disciplines include, the history of medicine, biomedical ethics, medicine in literature, health policy, medical anthropology, law and medicine and medicine in the arts.Get Library Information