The Department of Medical Humanities and Bioethics has influenced the practice of medicine by
- Assisting in drafting legislation to authorize living wills and other advance medical directives in Arkansas. Helping establish an ethics committee at the UAMS Medical Center
- Assisting other Arkansas hospitals in establishing ethics committees
- Organizing a statewide network of hospital ethics committees
- Founding the Pediatric Ethics Consortium, a national initiative housed at Arkansas Children’s Hospital
- Presenting numerous talks at adult education centers and nursing homes, and to religious, professional and civic groups.
Medical Humanities Library
The Medical Humanities Library houses a strong collection of resources in the humanistic disciplines. These disciplines include, the history of medicine, biomedical ethics, medicine in literature, health policy, medical anthropology, law and medicine and medicine in the arts.Get Library Information
UAMS offers other resources that are a benefit to humanities and ethics in the university.
Medicine and Meaning
This is the UAMS literary journal, featuring works from faculty, staff, and students.
Center for Health Literacy
Dedicated to making health information easy to understand and use.
Office of Interprofessional Education
Curriculum development, scholarship productivity, and research infrastructure across UAMS.