The UAMS Department of Emergency of Medicine (EM) offers a senior elective for M4 students throughout the academic year (EMER-8410). However, we also offer an advanced EM elective for M4 students who are interested in pursuing a career within the EM field. This month long elective is called Intensive Emergency Medicine (EMER-8413) and is available to UAMS students, as well as visiting students through the AAMC Visiting Student Learnings Opportunity (VSLO) program. Our visiting student rotation is offered from July through October and is an extremely valuable insight into the field of Emergency Medicine.
The UAMS EM team is dedicated to excellence within the field of specialized medicine. There is no better way to get acquainted with the vision, mission, and value of Emergency Medicine than to spend an intensive rotation with our faulty and resident physician staff. All students who participate in the M4 Intensive Rotation will receive a Residency Interview at the end of their rotation. For visiting students, this is an excellent way to familiarize yourself with UAMS as an institution, as well as getting to see the city of Little Rock and all that Arkansas has to offer.
Vision, Mission, and Value
- Vision: Be the statewide and national leader in the advancement of emergency medical patient care, education, and scholarship.
- Mission: Deliver timely, compassionate patient care while creating an environment of collegiality, multi-disciplinary collaboration, outstanding clinical teaching, and clinically impactful scientific discovery.
- Value: Pursue clinical, educational, and scholarly excellence while demonstrating integrity, empathy, and respect for our patients and colleagues.
Rotation Goals & Objectives
- Experience a comprehensive rotation with an award winning and nationally recognized Emergency Medicine department
- Discover the core competencies of a successful Emergency Department where M4 students will learn professionalism, patient and interdepartmental communication skills, effective emergency medicine care, and development of medical management strategies
- Students will participate in our weekly resident didactic conferences and weekly student didactic sessions. Students will be provided a weekly curriculum supplemented by Slack© assignments and discussions. Students will also participate in cases and a procedural lab at the state of the art UAMS Simulation Center.
- Learn about the integral and interdepartmental roles in an Emergency Medicine Department such as Nurses, Paramedics, Physician specialists, Prehospital care, etc.
- Participate in a wide range of experiences in the Emergency Medicine field and all related specialties, including resuscitation, prehospital systems, trauma care, toxicology, point of care ultrasound, and critical care
- Build, enhance, and develop the clinical, academic, and administrative skills necessary to become world class future Physicians within the specialty of Emergency Medicine
- The M4 Intensive Rotation(s) are offered for the following dates in 2023:
- July 3 through July 28
- July 31 through August 25
- August 28 through September 22
- September 25 through October 20
- October 23 through November 17
- The rotation will be added to the catalogue/course list as of mid-March 2023, and applications may be submitted starting on April 15, 2023.
- Electives may be arranged through the Office of Student Affairs (501-686-5348)
- For visiting students, please use the application portal through AAMC Student Portal and select the For Students option for application instructions.
- UAMS values a diverse and equitable community and we are proud to offer an Underrepresented in Medicine Visiting Student Scholarship. Get detailed information about this scholarship.
- Meredith VonDohlen, Assistant Clerkship Director, at MKVondohlen@uams.edu
- Dr. Lauren Evans, M.D., Student Clerkship Director, at LNEvans@uams.edu
Underrepresented in Medicine Visiting Student Scholarship
The UAMS Department of Emergency Medicine values diversity, equity, and inclusion both at UAMS and in our community. To seek out students who will help contribute to our mission of DEI, we are excited to announce the development of an Underrepresented in Medicine Scholarship for visiting students taking our Intensive Emergency Medicine Elective. Get details on this scholarship.
Emergency Medicine Interest Group
Our medical students have an Emergency Medicine Interest Group which helps to organize students and build strong relationships between them. This organization is open to all medical students and has monthly meetings designed to increase interest in Emergency Medicine. There are guest lecturers and students are encouraged to participate in various residency activities. There is also a mentoring program that allows medical students to work with the Emergency Medicine Residents and faculty while on duty in the Emergency Department.
Wilderness Medicine Interest Group
The Wilderness Medicine Interest Group meets on a monthly basis to learn about topics such as Trauma, Water Safety, and Lightning Injuries. There are also skill labs, so students get hands-on experience, stabilizing and transporting patients. More information can be found on our Facebook group page.