The research fellowship in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery is a one year funded position that offers a unique opportunity to become involved in a variety of clinical research projects, all of which are conducive to obtaining peer-reviewed publications and presentations at national and international meetings. The successful Fellow will be expected to organize and carry out multiple clinical research projects throughout the year.
There will be formal training through lectures and one-on-one mentoring on study design, IRB application, data collection, biostatistics, manuscript writing, oral/poster presentation, and help with interview skills. There are typically multiple projects at various stages of completion in progress at any point in time. Excellent organizational and writing skills are required.
The Clinical Research Fellow will work closely with the Director of Clinical Research to develop and execute clinical research projects including developing new projects and assisting with ongoing projects. The position includes close mentorship from the Department Chair and otolaryngology faculty engaged in clinical research.
Highlights of the fellowship include:
- Broad clinical portfolio with robust opportunities in all otolaryngology subspecialties
- Leadership and professional development in otolaryngology
- Research opportunities in novel and emerging “hot topics” in medicine
- Focused scholarship, which can lead to multiple publications from the fellowship year.
- Required qualifications:
- M.D. degree (or anticipated) from an accredited US medical school (allopathic or osteopathic)
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, flexibility, ability to activate and complete projects, strong verbal and written communication
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with multidisciplinary teams, including physicians and administrative staff with varying levels of education and knowledge of health care practices
- High quality professionalism, empathy, and respectfulness necessary for working with patients and caregivers
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience with electronic medical records
- Data management experience with Microsoft Excel, REDCap, Access, or other electronic data capture systems
- Experience with statistical analysis software
Clinical Research Fellows work closely with the Director of Clinical Research to execute clinical research projects; recruit and enroll patients and caregivers in clinical research registries and trials; develop and maintain project-specific databases; lead data collection efforts with responsibilities including creating data collection tools, developing data collection workflow plans, and entering data; assist residents, surgical fellows, and faculty with data analysis and manuscript development; actively participate in weekly research meetings to develop solutions for problems with existing research methodology and brainstorm ideas for new projects; and provide weekly progress and status updates to the Director of Clinical Research.
Fellow Time Allocation
- 40% – Patient enrollment, data collection, and database management
- 30% – Data analysis and manuscript development
- 20% – Meetings with clinical research leaders and department faculty, residents, and surgical fellows to discuss new and ongoing projects
- 10% -Mentoring medical students
- Work with current faculty, fellow, residents and medical students.
- Help to organize and mentor younger medical students including assisting in manuscript preparation and serving as a liaison between medical students and faculty.
- Attend divisional research meeting (Peds- weekly, Otology and H&N- monthly).
- Assist in the collection of specimens for the ACH biorepository (including consenting and reviewing OR schedule for upcoming cases).
- Assist with planning for and initiating new clinical research projects including IRB application development and management.
Productivity of our 2020-2021 Research Fellow (first 10 months)
|Manuscripts submitted total||19|
|Manuscripts submitted first author||7|
|Manuscripts Accepted/Published total||8|
|Manuscripts Accepted/Published first author||4|
|Manuscripts pending requested revision total||5|
|Manuscripts pending requested revision first author||1|
|Abstracts submitted total||18|
|Abstracts submitted presenting author||4|
|Presentations awarded/done total||6|
|Presentations awarded/done first author||2|
|Book chapters written as author||2|
Other awards: 2021 ABEA Annual Meeting Ellen M. Friedman Foreign Body Management Award
Current Clinical Research Fellow
Applications Should Include:
- Personal statement describing why you are interested in the fellowship and what you hope to achieve in the next year.
- Up-to-date medical school transcript or copy of undergraduate graduation certification
- Current curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
For More Information
Deanne King, M.D., Ph.D., Director of Clinical Research, email at DKing3@uams.edu