The Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI), in the College of Medicine at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, develops computational tools to assess and manage medical and public health information for patient care and research programs. The DBMI focuses on advanced medical information technologies.
Fred Prior, Ph.D., is the inaugural chair of the Department of Biomedical Informatics in the College of Medicine at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS). Dr. Prior served as the Electronic Radiology Laboratory director in the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. He is also director of the Center for High Performance Computing, which he created and supported with funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), as well as associate director of the Center for Biomedical Informatics and a research professor of radiology.
DBMI offices are located on the Fourth floor of Jack T. Stephens Spine Institute. Our staff is available for consultation. Call 501-603-1766 to schedule an appointment.
Vision, Mission, & Core Values
Technology accelerating knowledge to improve human health.
As a department in the UAMS College of Medicine, Biomedical Informatics strives to improve the health of all populations by:
- Educating professionals and clinicians in biomedical informatics.
- Promoting and conducting research that has global impact.
- Aiding clinicians to improve healthcare.
Our Core Values
- Integrity — We are honest, ethical and accountable. We speak up for what is right and avoid negativity.
- Respect — We are thoughtful of other’s time, emotions, and situations. We choose empathy.
- Professionalism — We are reliable, poised, presentable and competent.
- Connection — We communicate effectively through non-biased acknowledgement and discussion.
- Diversity — We incorporate our team’s experiences, viewpoints and cultures to produce our best work.
- Teamwork — We promote collaboration, inclusiveness and flexibility.
- Creativity — We value and reward innovation, imagination, ingenuity, and resourcefulness.
- Safety — We create a secure and supporting workplace.
- Excellence — We lead the charge by being positive representatives of the department and the university.