Join Our Team!
We are actively seeking candidates who are excited and eager to join a team of dynamic faculty (and non-faculty) members who make a difference in the community on a daily basis.
The successful candidate will demonstrate knowledge, integrity, enthusiasm, and commitment to work in an intellectually stimulating environment of diverse teachers and learners.
Scroll down to learn more about UAMS and living in Arkansas.
As of January 2024, we are looking for a Population Health Medical Director.
UAMS Population Health Medical Director (PHMD)
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) is seeking an experienced, collaborative, and innovative physician leader for a new position within the Primary Care and Population Health Service Line. The UAMS Medical Director of Population Health (PHMD) will define, develop, and oversee UAMS population health and value-based care initiatives, including quality and performance management of the MSSP ACO that is jointly owned by UAMS and Baptist Health systems. The ideal candidate must have experience and passion to help solve complex population health problems, ranging from patients who have care gaps related to social determinants of health to negotiations with health plans. The PHMD will bring significant experience in quality performance, risk adjustment, analytics, and healthcare administration.
The PHMD will provide leadership, vision, and direction to develop and execute UAMS strategies to improve patient care and meet the clinical objectives of population health and accountable care risk-sharing arrangements.
The PHMD will work collaboratively with clinical, financial, administrative, and business leaders to define and implement strategic population health initiatives for the state of Arkansas. The PHMD will be accountable for the execution of the UAMS Performance Management strategy. The PHMD will also champion physician, physician assistant, and advanced-care practitioner alignment strategies to support annual goals and objectives in the value-based healthcare environment. The PHMD will understand the role of an academic medical center in the context of key population health achievements.
The PHMD role is an opportunity within the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine at UAMS. The successful candidate will be an outstanding academic physician who can lead by addressing all aspects of the mission of the department and the College of Medicine: clinical care, research, education, and service. The successful candidate will also be an experienced leader who understands and can lead innovation in healthcare delivery and education. A candidate with appropriate experience and credentials will be appointed at the associate professor or full professor level on the tenure track.
Essential Functions of the Role
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with physicians, physician assistants, and advanced-care nursing practitioners.
- Develop and implement statewide strategies to improve health outcomes, including patient experience and healthcare value.
- Understand and manage risk stratification methods, data management, tracking and care management across the care continuum, including post-acute facilities and care in the home.
- Provide actionable feedback to providers on outcomes and utilization.
- Develop and lead initiatives to improve quality, decrease cost, and provide outstanding patient experience across all areas of medical care delivery, including inpatient, outpatient, ambulatory care, and post-acute/transitions in care.
- Articulate and implement a quality improvement process that emphasizes teamwork, metrics, and accountability.
- Analyze and distribute data including performance scorecard reports to providers.
- In conjunction with physician leaders, work to develop, oversee, and monitor quality improvement in alternative payment model (APM) mandated quality measures, measurement strategy, and creating tools to support projects as appropriate.
- Incorporate initiatives to increase patient engagement.
- Lead the change process from individual care to care for populations.
- Develop improved coordination of care delivery across the population in all settings to improve clinical and financial outcomes.
- Demonstrate and communicate the connection between quality improvement and clinical integration and health system mission and vision.
- Collaborate with medical informatics and IT professionals to optimize dashboards, reporting, and workflows within Epic.
- Champion medical student and resident education.
- Demonstrate good stewardship of financial and human resources.
- Lead and mentor research opportunities within the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine.
- Actively engage with the Department Chair in shaping the course of clinical and academic missions.
- M.D./D.O. with active certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) board in physician’s primary specialty. Preference will be given to an actively practicing physician. Preference will be given for Epic Super Users or Physician Builders.
- Three to five (3-5) years’ experience with governance and management in an ACO or as the medical director of a healthcare plan. Other similar experience will be considered.
- Working knowledge of physician and/or hospital-based contracting, pay-for-performance programs, and care management models.
- Experience in, and sensitivity to, the unique dynamics of an integrated academic medical center.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing, decision-making, analytics, financial management and communication.
- Demonstrated skills in quality improvement and operational improvement (e.g., “Lean”) methods.
- Experience in healthcare delivery and education.
Qualified applicants should email their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did You Know?
UAMS was founded in 1879 by eight physicians. Today UAMS is the state’s only academic health center, part of a statewide network of postsecondary education institutions of the University of Arkansas System governed by a 10-member Board of Trustees.UAMS Fast Facts
Living in Little Rock
If you’re considering a move to Arkansas, you’ll be glad to learn that UAMS offers the opportunity to work with national leaders in health care in a location that offers great quality of life.Learn More about Little Rock